If you’re starting a business, chances are you know you need to have a website. In today’s world, it’s practically impossible to get by without one. But when it comes to choosing where to actually host and build that website, you’re probably completely overwhelmed by the options out there. For me, though, there really is only one choice: WordPress. I absolutely love WordPress and since I switched to it I’ve never built a site anywhere else. I use WordPress to manage both my branding and web design company’s website (this site) and my personal travel blog, and I recommend WordPress to every single one of my web design clients. And I’m not the only one who’s totally obsessed with WordPress–it powers 30% of the internet and is the most popular web content management system out there. So why use WordPress? Here are 10 reasons you should be using WordPress for your business’ website.
WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN WORDPRESS.COM AND WORDPRESS.ORG?Just a quick side note before we begin. If you’ve spent any time looking at WordPress, you’ll know that there are two different WordPress options: wordpress.com and wordpress.org. The main difference between the two is that .org is free and self-hosted while .com is not. With a wordpress.com website, your hosting is taken care of for you but you must pay for lots of extras such as a custom domain name or more storage. Here’s a good article explaining the difference. For the purpose of this blog post, I’m trying to convince you to use wordpress.org.
1. IT’S FREEWordPress (.org) is an open-source content management system, which means that it’s completely free. That’s right. 100%, totally free. While you’ll still need to pay for hosting, the fact that your content management system is completely free means that it is generally much cheaper than other options such as Squarespace, which charge for both. If you’re looking to save money as a new small business, then WordPress is definitely the way to go.
2. IT’S EASY TO USEWhile it might seem daunting that you have to set up your own hosting, WordPress is actually super, ridiculously easy to use. In fact, most website hosts have a 1-click install of the program, and from there the interface is incredibly easy to navigate (if you ever had a WordPress.com blog back in the day, it’s exactly the same just with way more power). Most importantly, you don’t have to touch any code to end up with an amazing website. It seriously couldn’t be easier.
3. YOU’LL NEVER BE LOST FOR SUPPORTBecause WordPress is so popular (remember how it powers 30% of the internet?) there are hundreds upon thousands of tutorials, resources, videos, guides, ebooks, and people out there that can help you with literally any question you have. So if you’re ever stuck with something on WordPress (which is bound to happen despite the fact that it’s so ridiculously easy), there will always be someone out there with an answer. Just another great answer to the question: Why use WordPress?
4. THERE’S ENDLESS POSSIBILITYWordPress operates on a theme framework, much like Squarespace and other website building platforms. This is one of the reasons it so easy to build a beautiful website with WordPress. Unlike other platforms, though, it’s open source. Which is super important because it means that there are absolutely LOADS of themes out there for you to choose from–aka endless possibility. As of August 2018, Squarespace has 67 themes to choose from (I counted). But WordPress? I couldn’t even begin to count how many themes there are out there. And the best part? Many of them are free or reasonably priced, which keeps your start-up fees much, much lower. In addition to all of the premade theme options out there, there are also drag-and-drop builders like Divi (which is what I use to design all of my websites) that give you ultimate control and provide for endless possibilities.
5. YOU CAN DO ANYTHING WITH PLUGINSA WordPress plugin is a piece of (usually free) software that you can add to a WordPress site to extend its functionality. And once again, because WordPress is open source, your options are really limitless when it comes to plugins for your website. Want an e-commerce store? There’s a plugin for that. Want a table of contents inserted into each of your blog posts? There’s a plugin for that. Want your website visitors to be able to relive their childhood with a game of Asteroids? There’s a plugin for that. If you really want to up your game, there are also plenty of premium plugins out there that cost a bit of money but are usually super worth it. With plugins, you’ll never be limited with what your website is able to do.
6. IT’S RESPONSIVEIt’s 2018. There’s really no excuse for not having a responsive website these days–especially considering more than 50% of website views come from mobile devices. I’ve never come across a WordPress theme that isn’t responsive, and you never have to actually do anything extra to make them that way.
7. IT’S EASY TO DELEGATEIf there’s one thing everyone could be better at, it’s delegating. But not WordPress. WordPress already has the ability to add multiple users of different types, which makes it super easy to collaborate and delegate tasks on your website if you have more than one person in your business. And yup, adding new users is super duper easy.
8. YOU DON’T HAVE TO HAVE A BLOG TO USE WORDPRESS… BUT THE BLOGGING IS GREATIt’s a pretty common misconception that WordPress is just for blogs, but you can actually use it to build any type of website. Especially with all those plugins, WordPress’ functionality is limitless. Here are just a few different types of websites you can use WordPress to build:
- Business website
- E-commerce website
- Job board
- Business Directory
- Question and Answer site
- Portfolio website
- And much, much more